In Nursery we learn about numbers, counting, shapes and measure in very practical ways. There is so much we can learn during our play.
Number rhymes and songs:
Ideas to support your child's counting through play:
Can you choose 4 teddies for our teddy bear's picnic? Can you count out 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 biscuits etc?
How many cars are parked in the garage today? Can you write the numbers in the spaces?
How many people are on the bus? If one more gets on how many will there be?
Practical ideas to learn about shapes.
Water/sand play - Which container will hold the most/least?
- How many small cups will it take to fill the large container?
Size - Which toy in the biggest/smallest? Which dinosaur is the tallest/shortest?
- Can you put the shoes in size order? Can you put the cars/dinosaurs/dolls in size order?
- Can you draw a big flower/small flower?
Challenges- Can you draw around yourself now use your hands to measure how tall you are?
- Can you make a tower taller than you?
- How many footsteps does it take to walk across your room/garden?